Digby, William, fifth Baron Digby 1661-1752, was the third son of the second Lord Digby, and Mary, daughter of Robert Gardiner of London. He was educated at Magdalen College, Oxford, where he graduated Bachelor of Arts on 5 July 1681. He succeeded as fifth Lord Digby in 1685. On 13 July 1708 he received the degree of Doctor of Civil Laws from the university. In April 1733 he was made a member of the common council for Georgia, and he was also a member of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. In 1689 he represented Warwickshire, and he was included in the great Act of Attainder passed by James's parliament at Dublin. He died in December 1752, and was buried at Sherborne. By his wife Jane, second daughter of Edward, earl of Gainsborough, he had four sons and eight daughters. He was succeeded by his grandchild Edward, son of his third son, Edward. At Sherborne there is a poetical inscription by Pope to the memory of Robert, his second son, and Mary, his eldest daughter.
Collins's Peerage, ed. 1812, iv. 380-3
Contributor: T. F. H. [Thomas Finlayson Henderson]