Law, John 1745-1810, bishop of Elphin, born in 1745, was eldest son of Edmund Law [qv.], bishop of Carlisle, and brother of Edward Law, first lord Ellenborough [qv.], and of George Henry Law [qv.], bishop of Bath and Wells. John was educated at Charterhouse, and proceeding to Christ's College, Cambridge, graduated Bachelor of Arts 1766, M.A. 1769, and Doctor of Divinity 1782. He subsequently became a fellow of his college and took holy orders. He was appointed prebendary of Carlisle in 1773, and archdeacon there in 1777. Five years later, in April, he went to Ireland as chaplain to William Henry Cavendish Bentinck, third duke of Portland, lord-lieutenant. Within a few months (August) he was appointed to the see of Clonfert, was translated to that of Killala in 1787, and to that of Elphin in 1795. Dr. William Paley, his successor in the archdeaconry, accompanied him to Ireland and preached his consecration sermon, which has been printed (Cotton, Fasti, v. 294). Law died in Dublin 18 March 1810, and was interred in the vaults of Trinity College Chapel. He married Anne, widow of John Thomlinson of Carlisle, and of Blencogo Hall, Cumberland, but had no issue. Law published two sermons: 1. Preached in Christ Church, Dublin, before the Incorporated Society, 1796. 2. Preached in St. Paul's Cathedral, London, at the meeting of the charity school children, 1797. He founded prizes for the study of mathematics in Dublin University.
Burke's Peerage, Ellenborough
Cotton's Fasti Eccles. Hib.
Dublin Univ. Cal.
Contributor: W. R-l. [William Reynell]