Mary Jane, Lady Kinnaird 1816-1888, philanthropist, daughter of William Henry Hoare of the Grove, Mitcham, Surrey, a London banker, was known for the interest she took in religious and educational works at home and missionary efforts abroad. She was born at Blatherwick Park, Northamptonshire, on 14 March 1816, and in 1821 went to reside with her maternal uncle, the Hon. and Rev. Baptist W. Noel, at Hornsey. In 1841 she instituted the St. John's Training School for Domestic Servants, with a branch at Brighton, an institution which was very successful. After her marriage, 28 June 1843, she held meetings in conjunction with her husband for philanthropic and religious purposes at 2 Pall Mall East. In 1848 she edited a volume of Servants' Prayers. With Lady Canning she was associated in sending nursing and other aid to the wounded in the Crimean war. She was one of the founders of the British Ladies' Female Emigration Society, of the Foreign Evangelisation Society, of the Calvin Memorial Hall at Geneva, of the Union for Prayer, of the Zenana Bible and Medical Mission, and the Young Women's Christian Association. She died at Plaistow Lodge, near Bromley, Kent, on 1 Dec. 1888.
Times, 27 April 1887, p. 9, 4 Dec. 1888, p. 10
Illustrated London News, 7 May 1887, p. 520
Foreign Office List, 1874, p. 125
Rock, 29 April 1887, p. 5
Record, 29 April 1887, p. 400
Fraser's Mary Jane Kinnaird, 1890, with portraits of Lord and Lady Kinnaird.
Contributor: G. C. B. [George Clement Boase]